Gateway to the World Missions
The following is a list of all of Gateway’s missions commitments and involvement that stems from past relationships and commitments. We also work in conjunction with our nonprofit 501c3, Community Development Initiatives (CDI).
- India Child Sponsorship (ICS) – 60 children in the homes of Bal Vikas Kendra in North India with 180 left to be sponsored. Find out more at http://www.indiachildsponsorship.org/.
- Church Planters – we directly support seven indigenous church planters in Northern India who work in both urban and mountainous tribal areas among Indians and Nepalese to bring the gospel to unreached peoples.
- Community Development Projects – we work with multiple indigenous ministries through funding various development projects in the areas of clean water, rural health care, emergency relief, education, microenterprise, and care for the oppressed and abused.
- AGAPE Schools Scholarship Program – we are developing a program to extend the education of promising students in a rural village school near Rishikesh, India so that they can further help influence the future of India.
- Orphan Care – working with multiple children’s homes, we provide physical and spiritual support as well as education for children who are abandoned or orphaned in the hills of North India. This ministry is a foundational way that the love of Christ and the gospel can be shared.
- Uttarakhand Christian Network (UCN) – we have initiated a network of holistic ministries that has now provided training for almost 300 Christian workers through training conferences. These workers are doing evangelistic and holistic ministry work in three states in North India among the Hindus, Sikhs, and Muslims of this area. We support the training conferences and strategic initiatives financially.
- Future Support of Missionaries – there is a need for us to support a missionary couple as they return to India to work with the UCN as missionary strategists and in their development of funding streams from churches in the United States. Some of our previous support could possibly need to be shifted to them so that we can better leverage their involvement.
- We support the work in India through a percentage of the funds given to Gateway’s budget as well as any special offerings.
- Charley and Martie Elgin of Pathfinder Mission (http://pathfindermission.org). Charley and Martie, former members of Gateway, are working to build an orphanage for Haitian children in conjunction with Children’s Hope, a ministry to orphans and foster children based in Montgomery, AL (http://childrens-hope.com/). We give to the Elgins monthly in our missions offering on Communion Sunday so that they can fulfill this work. We are also praying about a trip to Haiti to assist in this work.
- Andrew and his wife Debbie and their children are missionaries to the fringes of society among emerging generations and church expressions. The Jones’ work in multiple countries per year helping to initiate Kingdom expressions of church while also providing training on missional ministry to church planters involved in organic, simple expressions of church. Andrew blogs at http://tallskinnykiwi.typepad.com and is an extremely influential voice in the global church. He is a missionary through our nonprofit, Community Development Initiatives (CDI) and can be supported through our monthly missions offering and gifts to CDI – http://communitydevelopmentinitiatives.org.
Korean and Hispanic Church Plants in Montgomery
- Gateway is currently hosting two new ethnic/language church plants at our facility. These churches each meet at Gateway for worship and Bible study on Sundays and during the week and we try to support, serve, and encourage their work as we can. Both the Hispanic and Korean church plants can be supported through special gifts to Gateway with the designation of which ministry the funds will go to. We also have a need for ESL teachers for the Korean ESL class on Wednesday morning and for any who would like to work as liason support for the Hispanic church.
After School/Summer Tutoring and Reading Program
- For the past two summers, Gateway has hosted a Summer Reading Program in conjunction with Brewbaker Elementary School. Students were aided in developing reading skills and were also ministered to with the gospel of Christ. We had 40 students in our summer program last year. This program has shifted to the development of an after school tutoring program that will begin meeting on Wednesday afternoons, also in conjunction with Brewbaker Elementary. The target age is 3rd and 4th grade and we are planning for 10-15 students. We need volunteers for tutoring, recreation, and mentoring.
- This Deacon Ministry ministers with tangible help and support to the poor and needy of our community. We engage in a great deal of financial help as well as counseling for people in need. You can give to this ministry by giving gifts to Benevolence at Gateway.
Other Ministries: Gateway is also partnering with Shepherd’s Staff (foster care), Family Promise (homeless families), and New Beginnings (education) this year in various capacities. We will also have a large VBS in July with the help of the Northwood Church youth group from Louisiana. More details on these ministries will emerge throughout the year from our various ministries. We also have several large outreaches per year, such as our Fall Festival that attracted around 700 people last year.