Becoming a member of a local church is an important part of the life of any believer in Christ. Romans 12:5, 10 says that we belong to one another and that we are to be devoted to one another in brotherly love. We believe that a local church is a covenant community of believers in Jesus Christ who have experienced salvation as a gift of God and have obeyed Jesus’ command to be baptized. We are a Southern Baptist Church that affirms the Baptist Faith and Message (2000) as our statement of faith.
Since membership in a local church is a privilege that believers in Christ get to experience, we have a process established for church membership at Gateway.
- Attend Gateway and express an interest in membership.
- Attend one of our periodic Newcomer’s Classes/Dinners to learn more about Gateway, how we function, and how you can participate in the life of our church.
- Share you salvation testimony and affirm that you were baptized by immersion with an elder or pastor at Gateway. If you have not experienced salvation by placing your faith in Jesus and/or have not been baptized by immersion, we would love to talk to you about that as well and pray with you. You can be baptized any time.
- Be presented for church membership before the church in a Sunday morning worship service.
Our desire is that be be a community of people who follow love God and love people to the ends of the earth. We want to take our relationship with Christ seriously, and church membership is a good step in that direction.
Basic Expectations for Church Members
After you have joined Gateway, we want you to grow in the Lord and be a participant in His mission and plan expressed through the local church, not just a spectator! We encourage every member of our church to do the following things:
- Commit to daily bible reading, prayer, and worship/obedience – this is where we fuel up.
- Commitment to the fellowship – take part in worship with the church – we are formed spiritually through this act of gathering, submitting, and worshipping.
- Commitment to a small group of some kind for discipleship and community formation.
- Sacrifice in some type of ministry. What are your spiritual gifts? How can you serve the body of Christ and minister to others?
- Be active in sharing your faith and in seeking to invite and connect people to the Body of Christ so you can help make disciples.
- Give sacrificially of your time, energy, and finances to the work of the church for the glory of God.